May 1, 2015 12:12 am
Nothing brightens up an outdoor space quite like blooming flowers and thriving greenery. Whether you’d like to upgrade your deck, porch or patio, consider planting these florae, recommended by the experts at garden plant grower Monrovia.
- Hydrangeas – Beloved for their large, colorful blooms, hydrangeas thrive in full sun to part shade and should be planted in moist, rich soil. If you live in a drier climate, water them two or more times each week.
- Gardenias – Known for their distinct fragrance, gardenias can be grafted onto hardy rootstock to make them easier to grow and less prone to disease.
- Peonies – Available in an array of colors, peonies are a popular pick, especially itoh peonies, which are a hybrid of herbaceous and tree varieties. Itoh peonies have an extended bloom season and disease resistance, and are much less expensive than when they were first introduced.
- Peruvian Lilies – Great for cut flower arrangements, Peruvian lilies will provide fresh flowers to adorn your home’s interior all summer long. To boost growth, start off with a bulb and give them ample space in a container or within a garden.
- Roses – A welcome gift for many, groundcover roses are pest and disease resistant, and require minimal pruning and no dead-heading.
- Edible Plants – Fruit-bearing plants like blueberry or raspberry shrubs make great long-lasting gifts. They flower in spring, fruit in summer and display colorful foliage in the fall.
Published with permission from RISMedia.