November 3, 2014 4:24 am
According to the National Fire Protection Association, two out of every five home fires involve cooking appliances, and half of those fires spark from grease, oil or fat. While you’re preparing meals, keep in mind these safety tips.
- Stay in your kitchen when broiling, frying or grilling. If you’re baking, roasting or simmering, remain in your home and check on food frequently.
- Ensure batteries in your smoke alarms are in proper working order. Keep a fire extinguisher with a minimum 5-B:C rating nearby for easy access.
- Have a lid on hand to smother small fires. Cover the fire by turning off the burner and sliding the lid over the pan.
- For oven fires, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to contain smoke.
- If a fire is too big to control, leave your home immediately and call 911.
Published with permission from RISMedia.